As the hours dwindle down until Saint Nick visits, we're sure there might be the odd person who is still stuck for a present for their loved ones...read on for some fishy and nautical ideas that will definitely impress even the pickiest loved one!
1. A day out on the river onboard a Swan Boat Hire Tinny, Cruiser or BBQ Party Pontoon. Get the family or a group together and celebrate the festive season in style. Plenty of low cost options for a couple of hours fishing at the river mouth, Cod Hole, upper reaches and creeks with boats from $65 for 6 people on a drive-yourself, safe and well equipped tinny. Or get together 12 of your best mates and for only $18/person you can cruise upstream in a comfortable bbq party pontoon and have a bonza feast on the water! All boats are decked out with rod holders, canopies, high sides, comfortable seating and all fuel is included. We even throw in rigged handlines and an esky for cold drinks or a big fish! Check out the website www.swanboathire.com.au for all the boat options.
2. Get the Advantage: There are plenty of keen anglers out there that are trying their hand at soft plastic fishing, but are struggling to hook any decent fish or those anglers that would like to fine tune their soft plastic skills. So if you are happy to get your feet a bit wet, enlist the expertise of the man who know fishing best: Brian from Angler's Advantage Charters. He has over 3 decades of angling experience across 4 continents! Brian's specialty is soft plastics, and his passion is sharing his skills and teaching others. Coupling Brian's experience with a keen angler's eagerness should be a recipe for success in targeting flathead, trevally, mangrove jack, estuary cod and even jew in the rivers! If you want more info on the type of service Brian has to offer your loved one this Christmas, give him a call on 0424 788 379 or you can check out his website: www.anglersadvantage.com.au.
3. Head to the Barra Park: What's the perfect way to spend a day fishing where you are pretty much guaranteed a catch with the added bonus of being only meters away for a large undercover area? Suncoast Barra Fishing Park is the answer! Close-by, it's located on the northern banks of the Maroochy River at Bli Bli. It boasts three large saltwater ponds of over 18 acres of fish rich waters. With several sheltered areas, bbq's and plenty of space it's an angler friendly environment. This park gives all anglers a free tub of pellets for bait/berley on entry, but you can easily use live, fresh or frozen baits, lures and fly gear. For more info give the team a call on 54487514 and rustle up a voucher to go under the tree or check out their website: www.suncoastbarrafishing.com
4. Time for a new rod? Most anglers say 'you can never have enough tackle', and if this is something your loved one has said, then check out some of these deals at Swan Boat Hire for last minute Christmas Shopping: For bargain hunters – The smaller Neptune Combo is ideal for kids or the beginner who is learning their craft. This two piece 5 foot rod comes with a single ball bearing Poseidon reel which is priced to walk out the door at $30. The middle range Crusader combo for $50 is great value for money and quite a prize! The two piece rod ranged at 6-8 kilo and coming in both 6 and 7 foot options is coupled with a one ball bearing Crusader spinning reel. Lastly, if you want to splurge, you can't go past the ATC Combo which consists of a Dam Rancher 10 ball bearing reel and two piece 7 foot graphite rod. This is a super combo for soft plastics and has been a hot buy so far this summer at $165.
5. For the person who has everything; finally if none of the above-mentioned ideas suit; consider something different like a kayak or canoe hire to explore the beautiful Maroochy River at their own pace. Or for an exhilarating experience, have a go at fishing from a kayak. Nothing beats stalking a fish and fighting it under paddle power. This is a true test of skill and ability, and a whole lotta fun for first timers! For less than $20 for half an hour, this is a perfect gift idea for a budget. We'll even throw in some rigged handlines and a bucket to give kayak fishing a try. Lastly, test your skills at stand-up paddle boarding on the new craft which are ready for Christmas holidays at Swan Boat Hire.
A range of rod combos that retail between $30 to $160 dollars that can cater for the young kids through to a keen soft plastic angler.
For a great day out on the water, take a boat, BBQ Partyy Pontoon or Kayak to explore the river!
Mitch Smart took on the king tides at the Cod Hole for this nice 42cm flathead.